Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Peace...

We have 5 weeks and 5 days and we will be cancer free, WOO-HOO!  Today started round 2 of chemotherapy.  Trevor started the day with radiation at 7:45 followed by fluids being started at 8:45.  All of his treatments and radiation are done in the hospital he works at and it does my heart good to see the doctors and nurses and other people in the hallways or that come by to see him have such respect and admiration for him.  I know he is good at what he does but I don't count because I'm his wife, not a wound expert.  But when professionals take a moment out of their day to find out what room he's in and come by to check on him, I am so proud to be his wife and beaming when he introduces me to them if they haven't already met me. What really tickles m,e is the cutsie nurses that see him and turn on there cutsie charm and he introduces me as his wife.  He's oblivious to these sweetie pies trying to charm their pants off of themselves.  I love my man so much, not because he comes home to me and my "NOT" Faith Hill great hair. Trevor is a great guy all the way around, minus the 12 pounds he's lost during this little incident. 

Last week found that I was so exhausted because I wanted so much for the kinks to be worked out so the next 6 weeks would go off without a hitch...WRONG!!!  In case you didn't already know, drugs affect each individual differently...DUH!  So all of us that swore by Zofran when we were pregnant, it didn't help my man at all.  I could quite possibly be standing in front of Walgreen's close to Christmas time selling Zofran pills for a little extra Christmas money because it did nothing for him. 

And in all of ME worrying MYSELF into a frenzy, we all have other responsibilities...ummm, this isn't about ME.  Eli is responsible for HIS 4th grade homework, which he's figuring out because we don't see his homework sheets anymore and we don't have to sign a notebook saying he's done his homework.  That is his responsibility and he understands when his grades don't reflect deligence, HE has to call the coach, choir director, play director and explain why he can't play or participate.  Neely is responsible for 2nd grade homework, although we do have to sign a sheet saying she read to us.  She is responsible for practicing her piano and being prepared for the next week's lesson.  I am still responsible for laundry, (I think I may have just heard a mass UGH...).  If the clothes aren't washed, we will be going commando and that isn't comfortable!  I have been released from one less responsibility over the next few weeks.  A great friend, who happens to be my boss, arranged a meal plan on www.takethemameal.com password eli/neely.  So I don't have to prepare suppers for awhile.  Thanks for that little love note sweet friend! 

Today, chemotherapy has been easier to tolerate than last week.  The Erbitux dosage was backed down a bit.  Since it's a heavy duty drug, they give the mega dose the first time and back it down to what it will be throughout the rest of the chemotherapy sessions.  So we have 5 more weeks of this Erbitux dosage.  The Cystplatin is a 2 hour dosage but also involves 2000 mg of fluids to be taken in throughout the day.  His doctor has also changed around his nausea medicines.  He has deduced by the burning in his belly for the past 2 days that his Prevacid doesn't take care of the amount of acid in his stomach, especially since he hasn't eaten a lot.  Yesterday he took 2 Prevacids, 2 OTC acid reducers and last count I had 6 TUMS.  His oncologist started Regalin to be taken 4x day with the Nexium 2x a day.  He is also on Anzemet for nausea and will take Phenergan as needed.  We are on the right path and I believe we both feel better about his treatment.  (I do realize that this paragraph should go up to the Zofran paragraph, but I don't know how to cut/paste on my lap top.)  I do realize that lots of you are rolling your eyes and probably thinking "Oh my goodness, is she that technologically challenged? The answer is "yes, I am"!

Numbers 6:24-26  "The Lord bless you and keep you;  the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace"  Thank you God for providing this peace to us today.  Thank you for starting this week off with Your mercy and Your grace.  I pray that we can be reflections of Your grace and be able to show mercy the way You have continually shown us.  Thank you Father for this time together all day with my husband in the confines of a hospital room.  I pray that You would protect us as we travel 10 miles home.  I pray that we would be blessings to those around us, that the blessings You pour over us spill onto those around us.  I pray that You would continue to hold Trevor in the palm of Your hand.  That he rest tonight and wake in the morning ready to eat a hearty breakfast, give hime a hunger for real food that he hasn't known in a week and in that hunger, You sustain his strength as he prepares to go through the next 5 weeks with stamina, strength and good health.  I pray these things in Your precious Son's name, Jesus Christ, my Savior and Redeemer.

No comments:

Post a Comment