Monday, November 5, 2012

The End Is Better

So Trevor finished his last chemotherapy and his last radiation on Friday, October 26. I took a small video and picture with my phone but believe it or not, I can't seem to attach it to my blog...I'm so very technologically challenged. Whew-Hoo...treatments are over! Trevor will have follow up appointments in December. His radiation oncologist will look at his throat and mouth to see how well it is healing. He will also see his chemo radiation that same day to discuss when to begin his maintenance chemo treatments. He will have another PET scan with contrast to detect any radical cancer cells. The Friday of his last radiation treatment was a very emotional day for us, okay well for me. He went into his last radiation treatment nauseated from the amount of saliva his mouth produced and still produces. He was exhausted from not getting a lot of sleep the night before because, again, the amount of saliva his mouth produces as well as his sinus drainage. I've tried timing how often he gets up in the night just to spit, it never fails...I fall asleep. Generally, he gets up at least once an hour, just to spit. I told him to just roll over and spit in a pot I fixed for him or medicate and sleep. We would probably drown in the bed with the amount of drool that would flow from his slack mouth! He has been using a baking soda/salt water mouth rinse and his doctor said that that has helped his mouth healthy with the amount of radiation he has had and also with the saliva production. He went into radiation and when he came out his doctor told him he gets to ring "The Bell" for completing radiation. The nurse told the doctor that "The Bell" would have to be rung in the waiting room because there were approximately 40-45 people in the waiting room waiting for Trevor. My man is so loved by so many at Jackson General, it is overwhelming. There were doctors, physical therapist, office administrators, pt-techs, pt assistants, nurses and friends that have been praying for our family waiting to see him ring "The Bell"! He was speechless, but that really wasn't too hard since he doesn't have a voice, AT ALL. I was overwhelmed! No words...Really... That afternoon I had an appointment at my babies school. Eli's 4th grade class had been working to surprise him. Parents had organized a goodie basket (2) for him. Just so he would know how much he means to them and to let him know that they "have his back" while his dad is fighting this disease. They put together lots of goodies and games for Eli and Trevor to do together. When I walked into his classroom the entire 4th grade, all 3 classes, were in his classroom and his teacher had asked Eli to sit in front of the class. She was asking the class what did they know about Eli. Eli sees me come in and his eyes bug out of his head, like "what are you doing here? and I'm not in trouble..." I look around the room and I see Eli's "live-wire" friend look at me with teary eyes, there goes a chink in the "tear-guard"...I continue to look at his friends and I see his friend that is the sweetest, most kind-hearted little girl.(When he fell out of the deer stand, "sweet-cheeks" had her grandmother call while he was at LeBonheur to check on him. Sweet-cheeks had gone to see Taylor Swift and was in Memphis and wanted to be sure he was okay. When we got home she had her mom go get donuts just so she could come over and see how well he was really doing.) Anyway, I'm looking around his classroom again and I see "sweet-cheeks" and she is teary eyed too...another chink in my tear guard...it's all I can do to hold it together. His sweet teacher continues to tell him how special he is to her and to his classmates, all the while looking back at me...chink! chink! chink! I turn around and my sweet Hot Pants friend is in the back of the classroom wiping tears from her eyes...good thing I carry a tissue at all times, because I was wiping the tears away too! I have been so blessed by Eli and Neely's friends and by their parents. Our school has prayed for our family on several occasions. They have provided for us and their prayers have carried us through the past year, thank you. As Eli is gathering his goodies and asking friends to help carry it all, I go to Neely's class. I'm finally composed and ready to face my princess and her class, because they had put together a goody box for her too! Just to let her know how much she means to them and to remind her that they are praying for her and her dad and for his quick, total recovery. I walk into her classroom and her sweet teacher tells me she was waiting for me to show her friends her goodies...As I look at her teacher, again...chink in the tear guard. I'm doing quick swipes to keep from having to answer "why? what's wrong? are you okay?" questions from 2nd graders! Our children go to Trinity Christian Academy in Jackson Tennessee. Several years ago we had a speaker that spoke at a banquet for our school. He compared our school to the other private schools in our area and what set us apart from the others. God has provided every year for our children to attend TCA. We wanted our children to get a great education. We wanted our children to be educated by educators that seemingly re-enforce our parenting. The other private schools in our city are all of the best caliber and those of you that read this and go to those other schools know the academic excellence your schools provide. But this speaker several years ago asked "what sets TCA apart from the other private schools in Jackson?" The answer should be the "Christian". Not Trinity Christian Academy, but the Christians our children are and we pray they will be. From my family's experience, the Christian families in our community and especially those Christian families that are trying to raise Godly children that attend our school, we have been ministered to through you and blessed by you, thank you. A friend of mine shared with me on the very last day of Trevor's treatments, Ephesians 7:8 "The end of a matter is better than it's beginning." I concur. The end of Trevor's treatments were more painful and harder to take and harder for me to watch, but this is the end of this battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment