Sunday, February 10, 2013

Flashing Light at the End of the Tunnel

Here I am sitting here listening to the Grammy's.  I never really got or get into all of these award shows, but I'm sitting in my bedroom with my husband as he is medicating his nausea trying to decide if he is going to throw up or not.  I'm literally praying with each peck of the keyboard that he is going to ride this bout of nausea out.  I'm praying that the phenregan I just gave him takes affect...asap, pronto, in an unimaginable amount of time.  His body cannot afford to throw up anymore.  His throat was damaged with the first round of maintenance chemo so "we" are trying to avoid violent vomiting at all costs.  So far his vomiting hasn't been nearly as violent, but he still has had occasion to throw up. 

He was admitted to the hospital Monday morning after our daily morning car pool.  Kids said their goodbyes and love yous and we went to check in for his 2nd "jail term" of maintenance chemo.  He had the sweetest nurse and I was nervous because I hated to a haint to some sweet thing.  Lucky for her his chemo didn't get started until 2:30 that afternoon so there was no call for me to be hateful.  The babies and I went to see him that afternoon after school and he was just dandy.  Tuesday was a different story, he got sick before 6 am but no cause for worry because on of our favs was going to be his nurse and so there is no reason my haint persona should come out of her closet.  She got his meds timed and charted so the Wednesday nurse had no worries.  And Wednesday was a great day too, well as great as it can be when poison is being dripped into your body for 5 days and is killing your body off one cell at a time...Thursday I was a little apprehensive because she was a new nurse for us, but she did a great job tending to my man.  I went to see him that morning before I went to work and when I left I was concerned because he isn't one to call for drugs, but I'm not above it.  My philosophy is "sleep through it and you'll never know how bad you feel".  She did a great job keeping him medicated and comfortable.  We have been so fortunate in his nursing care, except for that one unfortunate weekend. 

Trevor got discharged Friday morning soooo medicated I don't know if he remembers getting in the van.  My friend MMY, the oncology pharmacist had recommended the Sancuso patch.  I had told Trevor's doctor about my friend what she does and her experience with this medication.  He wasn't familiar but was willing to try it.  He knew 2 weeks ago we wanted to try it so he gives us the prescription for it Friday as Trevor is being discharged and says we can't get it at our hospital pharmacy.  It has to be ordered...it's Friday...we won't get it until tomorrow.  I can't wait to slap it on him and let his doctor know it works miracles.  That's y prayer anyway is that this patch will alleviate his nausea at least by 100%.  Trevor could be a trend setter here in Madison County. 

We have 3 weeks to recover then go back for our LAST round of maintenance.  We can see the light, we can see our summer on the lake kayaking.  We can see turkey season, maybe. We see a spring and summer filled with ballfields, soccer or baseball Eli hasn't decided.  I hope baseball because I understand that sport.  But he wants to play soccer instead, which is fine I just don't know how to cheer or understand enough about soccer to cheer.  That's probably one reason he wants to play so he doesn't have to listen to me saying "6 you got this, 6 you're good, 6 good effort, etc..."  You get the gist, in soccer I just say "Go 6, Go!"  I'm just glad he wants to play anything.  He's good at soccer and he's fast, he doesn't have to wait in the middle of outfield waiting for a ball.  I don't have to get aggravated if an umpire makes a dumb call if the ball gets past my boy catching and it rolls under the fence and the ump sends the runner on to 1st...I just don't know where to look in the rule book for that one...

 I was talking to Eli earlier that I pray whatever God has been trying to teach me, I've learned it and shared it.  I can't exactly pinpoint what I've learned, there isn't one particular thing.  You know the song by Laura Story "Maybe Your Blessings Come Through Raindrops"?  It seems that my blessings have come in torrential floods.  I've learned that I have heard Jesus in the prayers of my children.  They pray for their daddy daily, but they are also sensitive to their friends that are going through a trial.  I've learned that there is always someone else that is going through a trial that needs just as much prayer and God's blessings as my family.  I've learned that I can hold my tongue if it isn't glorifying and uplifting to the heart that needs to hear it.  And I've learned that my children are so wise.  That they are ministers of God's faithfulness, He hasn't forgotten us and He has blessed us through the past 14 months. 

I humbly again say thank you for your prayers.  Thank you for your encouraging words, comments, text messages, visits.  Thank you for your accountability.

angi

p.s.  Happy Valentines...but don't wait for a special day to TELL the ones that matter that they do matter.  You are a better person to be loved and to love, just don't do it anonymously or inactively.  Love is and action word!

No comments:

Post a Comment